Sunday, May 25

Some sort of Hash

I had no plan for lunch today after church (back at home) and Ryan kept reminding me that I had hash browns in the freezer. Over the last few weeks, I'd say "I'm saving them for something", and Ryan just kind of looks at them hungrily, wishing I'd do something with them. Today though, thanks to his reminder that I hadn't used them, I gave in. I sauted some breakfast sausage, red onions and some of the potatoes. I added some salt, pepper, ancho chile powder and cumin, about 1/4 tsp each, plus about 1 TB of butter. I covered it and occasionally stirred/turned the mixture, and once the potatoes and sausage were cooked, I added 4 eggs. I wanted to feel like a ranch woman so I used my cast iron skillet instead of my ninny non-stick skillet. No, you are not a ninny if you use one.

Here's how it turned out. It was complete by topping it with the following: sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro. We added some splashes of Cholula sauce, and it was complete. It was a flavorful mixture of breakfast, country and southwest.

No comments: