Friday, June 15

Please, NO MORE

I have had enough. Of the house sparrow. That insists on chirping me awake. An hour before my alarm is supposed to go off. JUST because I have prevented him from nesting in my grill.

If he had a nest to build somewhere else, he wouldn't be on MY balcony, near MY window nearly all day chirping a high pitched chirp, starting at about 5:30 am. May I catch it and kill it please? Sounds extreme, I know, but after at least 10 different mornings in the last few weeks of waking up before my alarm during the work week....it gets tiring. Thus I googled "how to get rid of house sparrows" just now and plan to figure it out.

In the meantime, I took the foil out of my grill to allow the sparrow to be busy building a nest. I will keep removing it and keep letting him build it if it will keep him quiet!! I, by the way, have a fan in my window on high, I have the other one shut, and I have stuffed a towel on either side of the fan to shut out more sound. Doesn't work!

It is particularly frustrating today because I've had a full week, am tired, got to bed an hour later than I hoped and then couldn't fall asleep for two hours despite being tired! I know many of you go on little sleep all the time, but I guess in living by myself and being used to getting a good night's sleep, it's frustrating to have it disrupted by something like a bird. A baby? That is worthwhile. Not a bird.

"Under federal law, House Sparrow nests, eggs, young, and adults may be legally removed or destroyed", according to this site. Waking me isn't the only offense. I have a feeling that the two nests resting on wires attached to my building no longer have eggs or baby birds in them and are not sparrow nests. It is very likely the sparrow has already gotten to them based on what I've learned about how house sparrows attack and mutilate other birds and eggs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fake owls freak out some birds, have you tried that? Auntie Chris

Catherine said...

I think if you let it build a nest, then remove the nest to some other location, that might help. I think the nest that was built in our front door wreath last year was from a house sparrow, and when I took it down, the obnoxious early morning noise stopped.

I hope something works!

lynardlynard said...

Well, hate to mention it, but BB guns are not so much money. My father-in-law has had a terrible squirrel problem ever since his daschund passed away. The squirrels have laid waste to much of his vegetation—beautiful flowers and shrubs—and did $2,000 damage to his one friend's car, crawling up inside and chewing things. So, he bought a BB gun and his Amish neighbors set traps. They have rid themselves of dozens of squirrels, but, of course, the newly available land has been noised around the rodent community and dozens more have taken their place. Dad just keeps shooting...

P.D.N. said...

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.

Mathew 10:29 (NIV)