Tuesday, January 9

Goof on the phone (me)

Do you ever say something automatically in response to something you thought was said but really wasn't? Like 'you're welcome' when the other person didn't say thank you? I don't mean in the sense of saying it to fish for a thank you...it just wasn't the setting or conversation where they said or needed to say thanks.

It sorta went like this:

Me: That would work fine to shift 8 hours into the next pay period
Shop manager: Ok, I'll put the hours for January 31 into Feburary, sounds good
Me: You're welcome

I did that recently and have also in the past said "Good" when greeting someone on the phone in return where I assumed they said 'How are you' but didn't really listen and have register that they didn't ask the question. What fun is life if you don't have opportunities to feel like a goof? Do you have any tales to tell?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes,this is so easy to do! For some reason when someone wishes me "Happy Birthday", I respond with the words "Happy Birthday" instead of Thank You. I've kind of gotten mixed up with the thought of return a greeting of wishing someone with a "Mery Christmas or a Happy Thanksgiving or such" Strange how my mouth often works before my brain processes what I hear, kind of like the timed delay on the radio or TV.
Mom

Rebecca said...

Oh, where do I start....

Anonymous said...

Years ago when I sold jewelry a young woman came to my counter to buy a gold necklace. She explained she had baby who had grabbed a couple necklaces she was wearing and broken them. She wanted one that was sturdy and wouldn't break. She was looking at 14K gold and I looked over our selection; they were all pretty thin. So I respond to her: hmmmmm, it is pretty difficult to find something that would hold up to those little jerks. Ops, I mean tugs, sorry lady I'm not calling your baby a jerk. She left without buying from me. Auntie Chris

Tamara said...

Yeah, I think we always say things like that without thinking. I have this bad habit now. When someone says, "it is good to see you!" I always say "It is good to see me too!" I mean you, but I always say me!

Catherine said...

I have a bad habit of saying "you too!" at the wrong time. Usually it's no big deal because people are saying things like "have a great week!" and I say "you too!" and it is fine. However, when someone says "Congratulations!" and I say "You too!" that is stupid. Or when they say "Happy Birthday!" and I say "You too!"

If only I would think before I speak...

lynardlynard said...

I do these goof misspeaks weekly, sometimes daily, especially on the phone. Ask my kids. Then again, don't!

Tuesday, though, I did my goof act. I wore two different black shoes to work—one with a thinner, taller heel and pointier toe. That's not the goofiest part. It took me and hour and a half of driving and walking around the office, feeling like I was walking on the side of a hill, before I figured it out. Goof, goof, goof....

|||||| lynard

Alicia said...

Those are great stories! Haha, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I used to work at the cinema. I'd be giving someone their popcorn and drink, and then I'd say "Enjoy the movie" - and they'd often say, "You too."

My other favourite is when I said hello to Peter after Christmas and I said "How are you?" and he said "Nice, nice" thinking I'd asked how his Christmas was.