Tuesday, November 18

Bread


A couple months ago, a friend at church graciously taught me how to make her whole wheat bread and let me have the recipe. The previous recipe I was using resulted in bread that I wasn't proud of, nor wanted to eat once it was a day old. It was called whole wheat, but wasn't 100% whole wheat. I don't know if it was the recipe or me not working it enough. I do know it wasn't the flour because I used the same whole wheat flour the first time I made this new recipe at home, and it turned out great. For the old recipe, I used my mixer for all of it, but actually enjoy doing it all by hand now, as my friend taught me.


She recommended I do that, particularly to learn how the dough feels and progresses. I should add that my mixer can't really handle 8-9 cups of flour for half the recipe, let alone 15-18 for the full recipe! She works in the last few cups of flour while working it by hand, out of the bowl.


Half the recipe makes two large loaves and one small one, which happens to work with the three loaf pans I have. I have only done this twice at home, but both times, made a cinnamon-sugar loaf with the small one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a firm believer that there are few things in life better than warm, homemade, fresh-out-of-the-oven bread. Looks good!

lynardlynard said...

I used to make my own bread, pre-children. Wow, that was long ago! So what do you think makes the improvement with your new bread? Is it mostly the ingredients or the process?

Anonymous said...

bread looks lovely Alicia!

Carla x